arrows pointing to two house models

Exchange homes

If you are an existing council or housing association tenant mutual exchange may be an option for you.

man carrying sofa out of house

Leaving a Stockport Homes property

You can also get advice on what to do if you are leaving a Stockport Homes property.

To help you prepare, there are a few steps you can take in advance of moving home once you are offered a property, so when the time is right you can provide all the necessary information and sign-up for the tenancy.

Rent and proof of income

Two weeks rent is payable at sign-up. If you wish to pay your rent monthly, the first month’s rent is due at the sign-up stage. If you are entitled to housing benefit you will still have to pay water and any heating charges for the property you are moving in to.

Please bring your bank details with you so you can set up a Direct Debit for your rent.

If you are, or think you are, entitled to Housing Benefit, please bring the following where applicable:

  • Proof of National Insurance number
  • Proof of income (two months' pay slips or five weekly slips)
  • Proof of all benefits (benefit award letters)
  • Proof of Tax Credits (award letter)
  • Proof of Child Benefit
  • Two months bank statements for each account
  • Proof of Pensions

You must also bring two proofs of identification to the sign-up appointment and one of these must include a photograph, for example:

  • Passport
  • Medical card
  • Driving licence
  • Benefit letters
  • Birth certificate
  • Utility bills

Properties at specific addresses require two references to be provided.

The Homechoice advert will confirm if references are required before you bid for the property.

If you need to provide references, at least one of these must be from a current or previous landlord or a professional person such as a doctor or teacher.

Do you want to move to a smaller home? Right Sizing could be for you

For more information check out the document below


PDF 3928Kb

View online