Your rent is one of the most important payments you need to make as you risk losing your home if you do not keep up to date with payments. However, we appreciate that your circumstances do change. 

If you do start to struggle to pay your rent and water charges, please do not ignore it. Stockport Homes’ friendly, experienced team will help and support you to avoid things getting worse, contact them by calling 0161 217 6016. 

You may also want to consider getting a water meter installed to save you money on your water bills. To help you decide whether a water meter is right for you, please visit the water charges page for more information. 

Account is in arrears

If your account falls into arrears your Rent Officer will closely monitor your account and will make regular attempts to contact you. 

If your rent account is in arrears, you will receive telephone calls, texts and be sent written confirmation of how much you owe. If you do not clear the arrears or contact us to explain your situation, you will be served with a legal notice. This will provide you with four weeks to resolve any difficulties you may be facing, clear the arrears, or arrange a suitable repayment agreement. 

If you do not do this your Rent Officer will take steps to begin Court Proceedings. If Court Proceedings do begin as a result of arrears, any costs incurred will be added to your account. The current cost of applying to court is £325. 


We can support you with any claims for Universal Credit, Housing Benefit, or a Discretionary Housing Payment. See the money advice pages for more information on managing debt, universal credit, energy advice and more.  

Money Advice Team

We can refer you to our Money Advice Team who provide a free service to tenants experiencing any issues with benefits, debt or budgeting issues. Please see the money advice pages for more information on managing debt, universal credit, energy advice and more.