Mental Health is an issue that is extremely close to our hearts here at Stockport Homes. With 1 in 4 people being affected by mental illness each year, and a significant number of our customers dealing with poor mental health, it is a reality that everyone has had experience with, whether at home, work or within the community.
We can offer our customers and local residents support and advice, along with signposting to appropriate services. We can also offer our tenants a home visit or telephone call to understand your needs better, and to ensure you have access to the services you need.
We commission Beacon to provide a free counselling service, and over the last two years this has supported almost 500 tenants who have attended over 1,700 counselling sessions.
If you’re going through a difficult time, talking it through could help. Counselling gives you time to speak to someone who will listen, offer support and will not judge you.
This is a totally free and confidential service, which you can find out more about - Beacon
Our Housing Support Team work with tenants who are struggling with their tenancy, the majority of whom are experiencing difficulties with their mental health. Visit the Independent Living - Housing Support page for more information.
Our Positive Engagement Team work with tenants who are involved in Anti-Social Behaviour, to help them address behaviour, substance misuse etc to keep their tenancy and ensure they are a good neighbour in future. Visit the ASB pages to find out more.
- We work with a number of local groups who provide support for local people with mental health issues and offer activities to reduce social isolation. These include dementia drop ins, substance misuse peer support, volunteering opportunities and community sheds.
- If a community group is wanting to set up their own group, we offer full range of support from getting a committee together, getting a bank account, securing funding etc. see the foundations website for more information.
- Existing groups can meet funders at Funding the Future and Sector Connector events coming up – check our events calendar regularly for information.
The TPA is open to adults and families living in Stockport, and provide advice and guidance and work alongside people on a one to one basis to improve their health and wellbeing. Find out more and get in touch, please visit the TPA website
Support for Veterans
- Please see the armed forces page of our website.
We are a strong advocate for mental health and we work closely with specialist providers who can help you, including:
- Stockport and District MIND
- Self Help Services
- Stockport Healthy Minds
- Beacon Counselling
- The Samaritans
- Pure Innovations Mental Health Network
- OWLS (Ongoing women’s local support for domestic abuse)
- Papyrus UK - Prevention of Young Suicide
- Visit the Healthy Stockport website to see how you can access services to support your health and well-being in Stockport
- Mental Health and Money Advice
Stockport citizens can access the Open Door's 24/7 helpline, which is available for people who need mental health support fast, but it’s not an emergency.
The 24/7 Helpline can be accessed by any Stockport resident aged 18 and above. Our Helpline staff all hold a Level 3 Counselling qualification and can provide you with emotional support, practical advice and guidance.
Call the helpline team on 0800 138 7276 or email firstname.lastname@example.org