Universal Credit (UC) goes Digital in Stockport on 21 November 2018
Universal Credit is replacing six existing working age benefits (see list below) and is gradually rolling out across Stockport.
- Working Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Housing Benefit
The introduction of the ‘Digital’ Universal Credit service at Stockport Job Centre Plus will see a rapid increase in the number of claimants moving on to the new benefit. Customers of Stockport Homes making a new claim after 21 November 2018 for any of the above benefits will claim Universal Credit instead.
All working age claimants on the above benefits who do not move on to Universal Credit as a result of making a new claim will be migrated over to Universal Credit between 2019 and 2023.
Are you UC ready?
Here are 5 easy steps to get yourself prepared:
- Get ahead with your rent – Unlike Housing Benefit, under Universal Credit you become responsible for paying your rent and after switching you will face a six-week delay before receiving your first payment. You should still pay your rent during this time. It’s important that you are prepared so you don’t get into debt. Putting an extra few pounds on to your rent account each week to build a credit balance will mean you can still pay your rent when you switch.
- Get online – All Digital Universal Credit claims have to be applied for and updated online. You will need access to a computer, tablet or smartphone and have the skills to complete and update your claim, upload documents, message your work coach and evidence your claimant commitment.
- Get a bank account – To make a Universal Credit claim and receive your payments you will need to provide details of a bank, building society or credit union account that you want your money paid into. Without this you will not be able to claim.
- Get an email address and photo ID – To make a new Universal Credit claim you will need an email address. Photo ID, such as a passport or photo driving licence will also speed up the claim process.
- Get help and support - We’re here to help our fully trained staff are ready and waiting to offer help and advice. Call us today on 0161 217 6016 for general advice on Universal Credit or any help and support getting online or setting up a bank account.
Act Now - Contact our Money Advice Team if you are already affected or worried about these changes.