Skip to main content
  • Text size
  • Change contrast


Is the font size readable? Or could it be increased? Select Accessibility at any time in order to increase it.

You can also quickly access any online services, such as paying your rent or reporting a repair.

Tenancy FAQs

We have produced a list of questions that we are asked on a regular basis by tenants. See if the answer to your question is below:  

  • Home insurance

    You need to arrange your own home contents insurance as we do not arrange this for you. We strongly advise all tenants to take out home contents insurance as our insurance only covers the physical building NOT your furniture, belongings or decorations. We offer all customers competitively priced home insurance to ensure that you are covered for theft; fire or flood. For more information, please see the home contents insurance page.

  • Adaptations

    An adaptation is a physical alteration to your home to help you to live as independently as possible. 

    For more information about the range of adaptations available and how to apply please see the equipment and adaptations service booklet.

  • Pets

    If you live in a property which is accessed through a communal hallway and does not have its own doorway to the outside, free roaming pets (like cats and dogs) are not allowed. Pets that live in cages or tanks are allowed. In all cases a pet permission form and pet agreement form must be completed before any new pets are brought home. 

    If you live in a property without a shared hallway you can normally keep one domestic pet such as a cat or dog. A pet permission form  and pet agreement form must be completed before any new pets are brought home. 

    Please note that livestock including horses, pigs and chickens are not allowed on any Stockport Homes managed land without prior written permission. 

    Working animals, specifically guide dogs and hearing dogs, are not classed as pets, so are allowed in any property even where an animal restriction is in place.

  • Alterations

    Before you carry out any alterations to your property you must complete the Alterations and Installations form to request written permission. Alterations might include (but are not limited to): 

    • fitting your own kitchen / bathroom suite
    • installing patio doors - depending on the scale of the proposed alteration you may also need to request Planning Permission from Stockport Council. Any work must be carried out by qualified tradespeople and adhere to building regulations. Following completion of the works a Technical Surveyor will visit your property to inspect the work and ensure that it has been done to an acceptable standard.
  • Greenspace

    The Greenspace team manages the delivery of grounds maintenance, trees and playground services.

    For more information click here.

  • Name change

    If you have recently changed your name, please contact the Neighbourhoods team on 0161 217 6016. You will need to complete a Variation of Tenancy form and provide the following evidence as appropriate: 

    • marriage or civil partnership certificate
    • divorce or dissolution certificate
    • statutory declaration or deed poll
  • Relationship breakdown

    If your relationship has broken down, please contact your Neighbourhood Housing Officer as soon as possible. They will need to discuss the situation with both the parties and confirm the following: 

    • whether or not you are married or in a civil partnership
    • whether or not there are any children involved
    • whether an agreement has been reached in relation to who is going to remain at the property 

    In cases of joint tenancies where one tenant has already left the property, it is the responsibility of the remaining tenant to locate and make contact with the departed tenant or obtain their forwarding address.

  • What to do when a tenant dies

    You should notify Stockport Homes about a tenant’s death as soon as possible using the contact details below:

    Stockport Homes Group
    2 Edward Street
    SK1 3NQ

    Tel: 0161 217 6016

    The neighbourhoods team will assist you in sorting things out and will ask you to sign a form to end the tenancy. They will need a copy of the death certificate, details of the next of kin, the address of the person dealing with the deceased tenant’s affairs and the date the keys will be handed in.

    For residents of Stockport Homes’ Sheltered Housing Schemes, please contact:

    Independent Living Team
    2 Edward Street
    SK1 3NQ

    Tel: 0161 218 1465

    For more information, please see the leaflet below.

    What to do when a tenant dies leaflet

You can also view a copy of the customer handbook for more information about your tenancy and the services we provide.

Share this page:
Page last reviewed 10/04/2020
Live Chat Logo