Skip to main content
  • Text size
  • Change contrast


Is the font size readable? Or could it be increased? Select Accessibility at any time in order to increase it.

You can also quickly access any online services, such as paying your rent or reporting a repair.

Staying put scheme

The Staying Put Scheme helps older homeowners, younger homeowners on a low income, and people of any age living with a disability (whether they own or rent their home) to live independently, in comfort and safety for as long as possible.

We can help you adapt your home or carry out essential repairs and/or improvements. For more information, please see the leaflet section in the list below.

You can also find about how our the Wellbeing and Independance Network (WIN) can help by visiting the WIN website 

  • Help provided

    The following help is provided:

    • advice from a building surveyor about essential repairs / improvements / adaptations;
    • quotes for work from builders or specialist contractors;
    • help to find the money to pay for the work if you don’t have sufficient funds;
    • supervising work that you ask us to arrange;
    • ensuring you are receiving the correct benefits and help you apply for benefits if you are not; and
    • advising you about other services you may be interested in.
  • Leaflets
  • Contact us

    If you are, or you know someone is living in Stockport and would like help, please call 0161 474 4291 or email


  • Paying for the work

    If you cannot afford the cost of work yourself we will work with you to try to find the money you need. You might be eligible for a grant from the Council. Grants are usually means-tested and will be repayable in certain circumstances. Unless work is to pay for an adaptation when special rules apply, grant funding is limited and not always available. The Council is under no obligation to fund the work you need.

    Please read the home repairs assistance leaflet for more information on funding and grants.

    Please find a link to the Adapting Your Home leaflet here.

    For more information, you can read the Council's Private Sector Housing investment and Assistance policy here.


Share this page:
Page last reviewed 11/02/2019