Skip to main content
  • Text size
  • Change contrast


Is the font size readable? Or could it be increased? Select Accessibility at any time in order to increase it.

You can also quickly access any online services, such as paying your rent or reporting a repair.

Housing support

The Housing Support Service provides advice, support and assistance to help you maintain your tenancy.

Tenancy support officer’s work with existing customers who are struggling with their tenancies.

Housing support officers primarily work with new customers within Stockport Homes’ properties, Registered Social Landlords or renting in the private rented sector. The Housing Support Team provides support to help people set up home, and settle into their local community. It also provides support to ensure customers successfully maintain their tenancies.  

For more information, please contact the Housing Support Team on 0161 474 3772 or email

  • Do I qualify for help

    To qualify for help you need to be a Stockport Council tenant, a Housing Association tenant or a private sector tenant, and fall into one of the following categories:

    • care leavers
    • teenage parents
    • young people
    • refugees
    • people fleeing domestic violence
    • ex-offenders
    • single homeless
    • homeless families
    • new tenants
    • existing tenants struggling to maintain their tenancies
    • people with learning difficulties
    • people with mental health issues
    • people with alcohol issues
    • people with drug and / or solvent abuse issues
  • Support available

    If you qualify for housing support, an individual support plan will be drawn up between you and the housing support officer. This will include an on-going package of visits and support, which will be reviewed on a monthly basis. 

    The services available include:

    • advice on housing options
    • assistance in viewing a home
    • practical help with form-filling, for example, Housing Benefit, Community Care Grant forms
    • practical help with storage, obtaining furniture and household goods
    • advice on budgeting and housekeeping
    • advice on benefits
    • liaison with other organisations and agencies
    • accessing local resources
    • advice on training and educational opportunities
    • temporary accommodation surgeries
    • office based surgeries at Cornerstone, 2 Edward Street, Stockport SK1 3NQ
    • establishing contacts and building support networks


  • Mediation scheme

    Mediation is about talking to two separate people or groups involved in a disagreement and finding a solution to the problem. This scheme is designed to help people resolve problems with their family or carers, and is available for anyone aged 16 and over living in Stockport.

    You can arrange a meeting with our Mediation Worker at our offices, over the telephone or in your home.

    How do I get mediation?

    Our Mediation Scheme can be accessed at surgeries held at Cornerstone, 2 Edward Street, Stockport, SK1 3NQ.

    Surgeries are as follows:

    Monday           1.00pm to 4.30pm
    Tuesday          1.00pm to 4.30pm
    Wednesday     1.00pm to 4.30pm
    Thursday         1.00pm to 4.30pm
    Friday              1.00pm to 4.00pm

    How can homelessness mediation help?

    If you live with your parents (or other relatives, carers or friends), you will probably not always get on with the people you live with. Sometimes, things may get so bad they could lead to you leaving or being asked to leave. If this is the case, mediation may be able to help you to sort things out so that you can continue to live there, or go back home if you have already left. 

    If you are at risk of becoming homeless and you can't sort out the problems, a mediator will support you in finding a solution that is realistic and can work. You could return home either permanently or on a temporary basis while you look for somewhere else to live. 

    Even if mediation does not lead to you moving back home, it can help you to get back on good terms with your parents or carers.


  • Furnished tenancy scheme

    This scheme aims to help you set up your home if you do not have furniture, do not have sufficient funds to purchase furniture or you are not able to access a Stockport Local Assistance Scheme Grant to get the items you need.

    Furnished tenancies are only available to Stockport Homes tenants. A package of new, quality essential items can be delivered directly to your home, once the relevant application has been completed. A typical package of furniture includes carpets and underlay, cooker and fridge freezer which are connected when fitted.

    For more information, please call us on 0161 474 3772.

  • How to refer someone for Housing Support

    To refer someone for Housing Support, please complete the Housing Support Referral form and email to

  • Housing support drop-in surgery

    We hold Housing Support drop-in surgeries at Cornerstone, 2 Edward Street, Stockport, SK1 3NQ on:

    Monday       1.00pm – 4.30pm
    Tuesday      1.00pm – 4.30pm
    Wednesday 1.00pm – 4.30pm
    Thursday     1.00pm – 4.30pm
    Friday          1.00pm – 4.00pm

Share this page:
Page last reviewed 06/12/2018