The Importance of Home Contents Insurance Protect yourself against thieves
Tenants and residents, protect your Christmas gifts and consider home contents insurance.
As gifts may be stacking up under the tree, so may the total value of the contents inside your home.
Stockport Home’s Home Contents Insurance Scheme automatically increases the contents sum insured by £1,500, or 15% of the sum insured (whichever is greater), for loss or damage to gifts bought, for one month before and one month after Christmas Day.
Top tips for keeping your home safe at Christmas:
- Where possible avoid leaving presents in an unattended vehicle. If you must, then make sure that they are out of sight in a locked boot.
- When putting presents under the Christmas tree, make sure that they are not easily visible from the outside, or store away somewhere safe.
- Think twice about what you post on social media. Avoid details of expensive presents, and do not advertise if you are going away over the festive period and leaving your home unoccupied.
- If you are going away over the Christmas period, make sure your home is left secure. If possible, ask a trusted neighbour or friend to keep an eye out.
- Even if only popping round to the neighbours for a festive tipple, always lock your front door.
- Secure any outbuildings or sheds, as they may store tools that could be used to break into your home.
We hope that you will never suffer a theft or break-in, but these things do happen and that is why we suggest all tenants and residents take out home contents insurance, either through our scheme or by making your own arrangements.
Please remember it is your responsibility to insure your home contents and belongings against fire, theft, flood, and vandalism.
To find out more about the home contents insurance scheme, where you can pay premiums alongside your rent. Contact us at:
o Tel: 0161 217 6016 o Visit: https://www.stockporthomes.org/my-home/home-safety/home-contents-insurance/#HomeContents