We have recently had several incidents reported to us with fires caused by tumble dryers. Your safety is of the utmost importance to us and we would encourage you to read the following safety tips for when you use your tumble dryer:
- Don’t overload plug sockets - the high wattage for a tumble dryer means that it needs its own 13-amp socket. Keep an eye out for any scorching or burn marks, including checking any visible electrical wires.
- Don't leave appliances unattended – don't turn the tumble dryer on before you leave the house or go to bed. Tumble dryers contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that can get very hot.
- Keep your dryer well ventilated, make sure the vent pipe is kink free and not blocked or crushed in any way.
- Always clean out the filter after using your tumble dryer.
- Always allow each drying programme, including the 'cool down cycle', to complete fully before emptying the machine. If you stop the machine mid cycle, the clothing will still be hot.
- Don’t ignore the warning signs – if you can smell burning or clothes feel hotter at the end of the cycle, stop using your appliance and have it checked out by a professional. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the use and maintenance of your appliances - and register your appliances at registermyappliance.org.uk, which will enable manufacturers to contact you if any faults become apparent, or if any recall notices are issued.
- Most importantly of all – make sure you have a working smoke alarm and test it regularly – we recommend once a week! You should also ensure you have an escape plan for you and your family should a fire occur – and once you're out of the house, you should always stay out, never go back.
Currently thousands of tumble driers are being recalled due to a possible fire risk. These are a number of Indesit, Hotpoint, Swan, Creda and Proline dryers. Please read the Government advice here to find out if your dryer is affected and follow the instructions.g
If you have one of the affected models you should not use it.
You can book a free Safe and Well visit from the Fire Service by calling 0800 555 815