Skip to main content
  • Text size
  • Change contrast


Is the font size readable? Or could it be increased? Select Accessibility at any time in order to increase it.

You can also quickly access any online services, such as paying your rent or reporting a repair.

Repair 1st vans.jpg

Report repairs the right way - directly to us

Posted 24 November 2017   |   By Verity Calderbank

We have been made aware over recent weeks that a number of 'No win, no fee' claims companies have been active in the Stockport area, particularly with regard to investigating whether Council tenants have issues of disrepair in your properties.  The Council is aware that a number of our tenants have been approached in this way with a view to being signed up to bring claims against the Council.

Leaflets have been fly-posted through letter boxes asking whether there are disrepair issues in your property and providing a telephone number for you to contact if you so wish. The leaflet states that if you do have such issues, then you may be entitled to cash compensation. Sometimes, individuals who introduce themselves as ‘surveyors’ will knock on your door to discuss whether you have such issues and try to secure access to investigate further. If they can, these ‘surveyors’ will request that you register with them, and allow them to pass your ‘claim’ on to solicitors to represent you. You will then be required to sign a formal agreement with the solicitors before your case can proceed.

Stockport Homes are concerned that our tenants are being signed up to claims in this way without being made aware of the potential consequences. This includes the possibility that you could be liable for your solicitor’s own costs should the solicitors deem that you have not fully cooperated with them.

Stockport Homes wishes to stress that IF you have not reported any issues requiring repair, and these issues are raised as part of a claim, then your claim against the Council will fail. 

If you do have issues at your property that require repair or investigation, the correct and quickest way for us to resolve the issue is for you to report that repair to Stockport Homes as follows:

By telephone on 0161 217 6016.  Select Option 1.

By email to

or by clicking here

Please note, there is lots of other useful information and advice about our services here 

Share this page:
Page last reviewed 14/11/2018