Have a Safe Bonfire Night! Please consider attending an organised event rather than risking your safety by having your own bonfire.
But if you still want your own bonfire...
Please ensure that you know about the guidelines:-
Bonfires should be 18 metres from buildings, trees, fences, overhead cables and car parking areas. Only clean, dry timber should be burned.
Do not burn:
- Foam-filled furniture
- Tins of paint
Bonfires should be no more than 3 metres in height. There should be a suitable barrier around the bonfire to keep spectators 5 metres away.
Do not using the following to light the bonfire:
- White spirit or Methylated Spirit
Use Firelighters instead!
- Always check that no children or animals are hiding in the bonfire before lighting.
- Keep some buckets of water nearby in case of emergency and to damp down after the event.
- Bonfires built on council land without permission will be removed.
FIREWORK SAFETY CODE
- Ideally attend an organised display.
- Fireworks must not be sold to any person under the age of 18.
- Buy fireworks marked CE.
- Keep fireworks in a closed metal box.
- Follow the instructions on each firework.
- Light them at arms length using a taper.
- Stand well back.
- Never go back to a lit firework.
- Never put fireworks in your pocket.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby if you are setting off fireworks in your garden.
- Never throw fireworks.
- Keep pets indoors.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix and may lead to injury.